What is Family Life Education?
- Family Life Education focuses on healthy family functioning within a family systems perspective.
- A family systems perspective is when we look at the whole family and how each member participates in it.
- Family Life Education provides a primarily preventive approach through education and support.
Who provides the services?
- Skilled, experienced Family Life Educators and mental health professionals who have worked with families just like yours build richer, more rewarding lives.
How are services offered?
We reach families through a variety of venues and formats including:
- Community programs
Services are customized through a partnership focused on the particular needs of you and your family. Support between sessions is part of the service! We collaborate with other providers as needed.
What are the Areas of Specialty?
- Atypical Lifespan Development
- Behavioral health
- Bipolar Spectrum Disorders
- Family Life Transitions
- High Conflict Divorce
- Stress Management
- Substance Abuse Counseling for the Family
What are the Current Programs?
- Coaching for Caregivers, Parents
- Crisis Intervention
- “Community sessions”
- High Conflict Divorce Coaching
- Mentoring Family Life Education Professionals
- Parenting Education
- Pet Therapy
- FaceBook Pages including a Closed Discussion Group (https://www.facebook.com/growastrongfamily/ & https://www.facebook.com/groups/GrowaStrongFamilyTogether/
What is Coaching?
- Coaching is a “go to” service when beginning a new journey.
- Coaching is “now” focused.
- Coaching is skills based.
- Coaching puts a “cheering squad” on your team.
- Coaching is not therapy although it may be therapeutic.
Describe the GASF Inc. Coaching Service:
- Understanding diagnosis.
- Psychoeducation around behavioral and/or medical issues.
- Acquiring new communication and problem solving skills.
- Increasing caregiving skills.
- Improving interpersonal skills.
- Activating community resources.
- Between session support
- Answer questions
- Defuse situations
- Mobilize the family out of crisis
- Ensure that other providers are “in the loop.”
- Coaching is an adjunct to or a partner with the other service providers involved.
What are the some goals you work on?
- How to talk to kids about mental illness or behavioral health issues (in a family member)
- How to parallel parent
- How to talk effectively with loved ones (with mental illnesses or behavioral health issues)
- How to talk to your loved one’s providers
- How to avoid power struggles
- How to manage holidays
- Understanding grief
What is Parenting Education?
Parenting Education incorporates current practices in delivering parenting skill development and support.
What is the Pet Therapy option?
- Max is part of a well trained and experienced Therapy Team who volunteer complimentary services to those who want or need a dog in their lives!
- They are registered and insured through Dog B.O.N.E.S. Therapy Dogs of MA.
- Max is a Springer Spaniel Pyrenees mix who is excellent with children, especially young ones, and with adults. He is gentle and kind and loves to “perform” his diverse repertoire of skills.
How is GASF Inc Funded?
Grow a Strong Family Inc. is a tax-exempt non-profit corporation which is dependent upon fee-for-service contributions, donations, and grants.
We participate in the AmazonSmile program: